word pictures of
'Grace and Usury' for Church Magazines
Ian Yearsley, a journalist, wrote a series of twelve 230 word
pieces that were offered to church magazine editors via to the
Christian News Service for the twelve months of 2002, entitled
Series title: GRACE AND USURY
1. (For 2nd January 2002 ) Why are we considering this, "Why
2. Scripture is full of this (this is heavy with references to
keep the evangelical Editor happy)
3. The gift of God. Theological essentials; all is a gift from
God, Israelites themselves once had been slaves; distinction between
animals and plants, which can reproduce, and money which is dead.
4. Usury, the hated word. Usury in biblical times, shift from
land to capital, 1545/1571, 10 per cent definition
5. Why risk is an exception, refers to Islamic banking, C S Lewis
sci-fi with floating islands and people allowed to visit but not
sleep on fixed lands (what was the title of this?) Narnia ?
6. Year of release and Jubilee - Sabbath principle extended.
7. Old Testament offers social restructuring, New Testament tends
8. Early Fathers, Irenaeus to St. John Chrysostom
9. Today, not just usury but money makes money out of money; debt-based
(compound interest bearing) economy
10 World debt, focuses attention on national and personal debt
11 Where are we now, the moral dilemma ( we are all caught up
12 Some ways forward, World Development Movement, Monetary Reform
Group, Basic Income research, Grameen Bank, [Complementary Currencies]
Credit Unions, etc. etc. Do we create ingenious ways of opting
out or do we try to reform the system as it stands? Final reference
to the ongoing wotk of the Christian Council for Monetary Justice.
Ask for details through firstname.lastname@example.org