So much afoot – scan carefully for your points of pertinent contact or support.
‘MATTERS IN THE AIR’ which participants could choose to develop…..
1. IMMEDIATE SUPPORT FOR ACTIVISTS
The first spring conference on April 6th is now set up for registration – see: http://god-and-the-goodlife.eventbrite.com
2. A BASIC STATEMENT FOR DISCUSSION: CCMJ, The Global Table and Critical Thinking all focus on structures and empirical evidence in diagnosing social and economic issues while also exploring a contextual spiritual aspect of this integral subject. As Fred Harrison notes in The Traumatised Society, the human spirit is being ground down by the escalating challenges of existence within a hostile economic framework. [ Hear the dialogue between Menzies and Harrison on http://www.mixcloud.com/criticalthought/criticalthought-fred_harrison_interview_the_traumatised_society121207mp3/ ]
We concentrate on the need to fix the structure.
There is systemic destruction of the environment which is a product of property rights and interest on money. The mechanism for valuing future returns is discounted cash flow (DCF) which varies according to interest rates. The effect is that we discount our future, ie. more value is placed on the present than the future. A forest is worth more when logged and turned into timber than preserved/conserved for future generations – that is a function of interest. Land and its resources are gifts from nature (God) and private ownership of what are communal resources has destroyed civilisations in the past. These are the two fundamental drivers of inequality and environmental destruction.
The solution is to capture the bounty from the land for the common good and establish an interest free money system. This will remove the drivers of many of the social and environmental problems we face today. We all are now working on a blueprint for the New Economy founded on three principles:
- Sharing the rents from land and resources (managing them for the greater good)
- Abolition of interest (see Margrit Kennedy’s Interest and Inflation Free Money)
- Citizens income (means to life independent of employment)
The alternative is descent into chaos, civil unrest/WWIII etc.
3. REPORTS PLEASE on
a] ‘ACT – ALLIANCE -For People; For Earth’ Bristol Feb2 + NWA and the Runnymede Project,
b] Positive Money [see ‘Modernising Money’]
c] MF’s mapping
d] Democracy 2015
e] Student Christian Movement – all working on effective alliances !!!
f] Jubilee Centre’s Roadmap of a biblical view of economy – available from me.
g] Any news on the Jubilee call: Faith Leaders Call for A New Jubilee Campaign – http://www.jubileedebtcampaign.org.uk/?lid=7635
i] OCCUPY This 10 minute video is a welcome reminder of the purpose and relevance of Occupy. http://youtu.be/iC7AwwieYhU
2. EVIDENCE OF MOUNTING DANGERS and OPPORTUNITIES
3. AREAS FOR DEEPER INVESTIGATION
4. YOUR INPUT ON THE ‘MATTERS IN THE AIR’ YOU WISH TO SHARE
Name other interests you know. Always glad, indeed eager, to have responses from the Table’s extensive network
THE SPIRITUALITY APPEALING TO SEEKERS TODAY EMBODIES GLOBAL, INCLUSIVE, CO-OPERATIVE, EGALITARIAN, AND FEMININE VALUES.
THE COMMONS — a vehicle for meeting everyone’s basic needs in a roughly equitable way — is being annexed and disassembled to serve a global a market machine which treats nature as a brute commodity. Commoners become isolated individuals. Communities of commoners are splintered and reconstituted as armies of consumers and employees. The “unowned” resources of the commons are converted into the raw fodder for market production and sale — and after every last drop of it has been monetized, the inevitable wastes of the market are dumped back into the commons. Government is dispatched to “mop up” the “externalities,” a task that is only irregularly fulfilled because it is so ancillary to neoliberal priorities. from ‘The Wealth of the Commons’.